Belvès, medieval city
Leisure near Soleil Plage
Only 32 kilometers away of your camping 5 étoiles Domaine de Soleil Plage in Dordogne, discover the wonderful city of Belvès.
This medieval city of Périgord Noir is part of the "Les plus beaux villages de France" association ("The most beautiful villages of France").
Funded in 250 BC by the Bellovaques celtic tribe when they settled in this region, this city is erected on a rocky hill offering a great view of the Nauze valley.
This city is filled with various monuments, remnants of past eras:
- Notre Dame de l'Assomption church, part of the french historical monuments since 1999
- Commarques Hotel, or Belvès Castle
- The Archbishop Tower, residence of the Lord of Belvès, Bertrand de Goth who became Pope Clement V in 1305
- The Auditeur Tower, old XIst dungeon converted to a pigeon tower five centuries later
- The XVth century covered market
- Fontaloup church
Many other wonderful landmarks are to be discovered in Belvès.
For further information, please visit : www.belves-en-perigord.com
Photos : Wikimedia Commons.
Photos : MOSSOT (n° 1, 3 et 5), P. Schuijffel (n°2) et PePeEfe (n°5).